A look inside the book!





A Changing Neighborhood



I was delivering for the first time a route that had once been a residential
street, but as time went on, had become a busy commercial artery through
town. The residents gradually sold their homes to businesses such as
dentists, tax accountants, law offices, etc. This was in the 1970s, before the
implementation of business mailboxes, and all businesses got inside
delivery. I would pull up in front of each house, grab the mail, and go
inside to make the delivery. As I was walking through the door of one
house, I wondered to myself what kind of a business is “Robert P. Jones?”
I got inside and suddenly stopped. I looked around and saw a coffee table,
sofa, chair, and television set with the ball game on. Great! I just barged
into someone’s living room, I thought. Just then a man walked into the
room carrying a bowl of popcorn and a soft drink. He said, “That’s OK—
it happens all the time. That’s why I leave the front door unlocked, so I can
get my mail delivered right to my coffee table!”

Marc Vallecorse
Mesa, AZ
 



Close Enough!

While casing mail in downtown Owensboro in the early 1980s, I ran across a letter addressed to a law firm.  The lawyers were: Wallace Thacker, John Thacker, John Bickel and Doug Wetzel.

The letter was addressed to: Cracker, Cracker, Pickle and Pretzel.

Irvin Augenstein (retired)
Owensboro, KY
Br. 234


A Day in the Life of a Letter Carrier


by Lois McNulty

First published in North Shore Life magazine, Peabody, Massachusetts,
February–March 1987


You don’t know it, but I have a somewhat intimate relationship with you because I deliver your mail. I know your children’s names, I know if you’re in debt or if you’ve got dealings with a lawyer. I know about how old you are, and I have a pretty good idea how you vote. I might overhear bits of conversation between you and your spouse, and I usually know where you spend your vacations.

Delivering the mail gives me a unique perspective on the lives of the people whose homes I visit, however briefly, every day. My job keeps me moving, so I usually don’t have time for a conversation with you. But
because I am walking through neighborhoods all day long, I am a constant observer of people living their lives in the most routine ways. As I walk, I see people getting haircuts, selling shoes, unloading groceries,
nailing shingles, hurrying to appointments, and arguing with their children. For me, this opportunity to “be with people” is one of the benefits of a job which can be repetitive, arduous, and even dangerous.
(continued on p. 67)


                                                 
Laird Atkins  Orlando, FL




Reader  comments:

"It came today.  I sat and read it through even before I changed out of my uniform.  What a delight!  Thanks very much."

Kitty, a letter carrier in Washington state.



 "As a proud member of branch 9 NALC Minneapolis, MN I just want to say how much I appreciated that book. I read it and have passed it off to fellow carriers for their enjoyment :)



To all my fellow letter carriers nation wide, if you haven't purchased this book then you should! Because you'll LOVE it! ♥ "
Jeffrey Babey , letter carrier in Minnesota
 



"Such a fun read. Letter carriers are in the category of folks we all take for granted."  
Barbara Costigan, St. Louis, MO –reader


"I really enjoyed the book—I can relate to these stories. Some of them have happened to me. I got a laugh, and was glad to know others have gone through what I've gone through. I will tell my fellow letter carriers about it."
Yvonne –Letter carrier in Medway MA


"I love this book I knew I would, but it exceeds my expectations. Thanks Lois and Kate."
Toni–a reader from TX